The Power of Context: Or, Why I Very Likely Will Get Absolutely Nothing Done This Break Except for Possibly This Mediocre Blog Entry [With a really really long title!]

March 9, 2008

Phew. If you made it through that doozy of a title, you’re already halfway there!

Not really. But I’m letting this come more or less stream-of-consciouness without editing, so you’ll just have to forgive me!

My point? Oh, yes, my point! I had one.

So far I’ve only had a full two days of real break over this ‘Spring Break ‘08’ holiday. And looking back on what I’ve managed to do, I’m kind of proud to say very little. Though I don’t know if you’re supposed to ‘do’ anything over spring break (except for chicks of course, but that’s only if you’re spring breaking in, say, Cancun or some crazy fun place like that!).

But I’m not here to do my usual bitch-and-moan ‘oh my god, I’m 20 and I haven’t accomplished anything with my life’ extravaganza. Way to melodramatic for my tastes. What I do want to talk about is the power of context over our lives. With a particular focus on the ‘home’ context for me.

As soon as I get home, everything more or less goes out the window for at least a few days. I eat anything I can lay my hands on (and that includes tomato products and milk products, both of which my digestive system responds to with a resounding ¡NO SE PUEDE!). I pretty much resort to a entertainment diet of television (I’d like to think GOOD television, but the point is that during my regular life, I try to avoid television like the plague). Exercise is an iffy situation: if it happens to be nice out, I really do love going for a run around the old ‘hood. Nostalgia can be a great exercising factor. And I do get more walks in than normal, again because it’s fun to walk around a place that you’ve lived in for the past 19+ years.

Schoolwork gets a real fast back seat. It’s break, for poops sake! Funny thing, though: about 75% of anything that I do well in life seems to revolve around school (this blog may be the other 25%, so you do the math and see how that actually adds up…). And it’s also about 75% of the enjoyment that I get out of life (and being as my friends make up the other 25% and most are either out of town or so far off my lazy-dar that I don’t make the effort to meet up with them, I need all the enjoyment I can get!). So the intelligent thing to do would be to either get some schoolwork done (fat chance of that happening) or choose some other field of study that I could use some honing in (say, German, or materials science). Funny thing about that is I’m too short sighted to get any of that sort of stuff started!

[RANDOM SIDE NOTE: I don’t remember where I read it, but someone said that they don’t like the words ‘laziness’ or ‘procrastinating’ when referring to a person putting off something they have to do. They’d rather think of the person as being myopic. What a great way to reframe the situation! The person is going to have to get UNlazy at some point. They’re just going to have to deal with the problem plus all the added stress from putting it off. Pretty much sums it up. Anyway, I just thought that was a neat idea.]

The even greater thing? When I’m at school, especially immediately before a long break like this, all I can think about is all the great things I’ll get done in the week free of schoolwork! Then, lo and behold, the week has come and gone, and all I have to show for it is some blog post about how I couldn’t quite figure the situation out and a few scraps of paper with random writing. The magic ‘inspiration’ that I felt pre-the moment that I could actually use it disappears immediately DURING the moment when I could have most used it. Funny how that works.

I’ve already gone on far too long. Let me wrap up this post by saying that we’ll either rule our contexts or be ruled by them. It’s pretty clear what I should do to solve this little dilemma of mine: write out a list of things I’d like to get done in the next 7 [6! {and not 6 factorial, unfortunately!}] days, write down a plan for when I will do them, and then get them done.

At the same time, it might be important for me to realize that getting any of those ‘things’ done doesn’t really do me much good. Who the frick cares what I get done other than me? Not a whole lot of people. So, basically, all this bitching and moaning to get me to do something the only person of which who cares is me. Haha. Oh 21st century life, you smite me!

Anyway, if you made it this far, dude, what are you doing?!?!?!

Just kidding. Thanks for your attention.

Now stop being a lazy ass like me and ‘go change the world’ [did I really SAY that in my grad speech? What was I THINKING?!?!]

Namaste.

Advertisements

One Response to “The Power of Context: Or, Why I Very Likely Will Get Absolutely Nothing Done This Break Except for Possibly This Mediocre Blog Entry [With a really really long title!]”

  1. dave in the west said

    Haha… that ending kind of reminded me of my little rants to myself at the end of my “Get up and do shit” blogs.

    I think I’ve more or less destroyed that part of me… thank god… or something. I’ve always sort of known that I’ve been a lazy motherfucker when it comes to finding new things to do with my life. I’m really good at doing more of the same, which usually amounts to nothing. But living in this house makes more of the same feel like torture and agony. So I took up some new hobbies and found some old ones. I make some airplanes, watch movies, ride my bike really far, make something other than pasta or sandwiches for dinner, and make snowmen. All stuff that you just kind of find yourself doing when you realize… what the fuck am I doing constantly logging into facebook and reading about electronics and managing your money?

    Step one, close your computer.
    Step two, run free…. and let your imagination run wild.
    Step three, resist the urge to blog about your journey.

    Let the Chinese monks be your inspiration. I couldn’t imagine myself living a happier life than if I were one of them. Isolation from all things technical, only nature, and cultivation of mind and body, in addition to brotherhood. Now that sounds sexy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: